08 November, 2015

Digital Software And Programs We Use At CalArts


The first time I walked into the Labs at CalArts, I was initially taken aback upon greeting numerous faces engulfed in their computers.




I was surprised by how many people use computers to make their art. And I was surprised to learn how much the animation industry itself is governed by digital art.

Before attending CalArts, I had only made art in the traditional way. I knew digital art existed, but I thought it was much less common to use as a tool than it really is. I had assumed that computers were mostly used for computer animation.

However, I soon immersed myself in it. My whole first-year-film was made on a computer. And while I still believe it is important to know how to craft art traditionally, I realize that it has also become essential for you to be familiar with digital computer software. So I thought I’d share which programs we used during my first year at CalArts. If you’re aiming for CalArts or any school in animation, I’d highly recommend exploring these software before attending!

Photoshop
Most of you will have heard of this program. I used Photoshop for the backgrounds in my first-year-film. We also use this software for our character design classes. It’s a good program for making detailed drawings because it offers you so many opportunities for making it look professional, such as various brushes, colors and layers. You can learn a little about how different artists use Photoshop from the book 21 Draw.

TVPaint
I used this program for animating my first-year-film. It’s a relatively easy set-up that allows you to flip between your drawings, draw on top of rough animation, and much more!

After Effects
This software is great for creating effects and camera moves. These are things you can also do in TVPaint, but I personally find it easier to use After Effects. When I say effects, I mean things like explosions, glittery magic particles, creepy shadowy fog… You can really go for it and make some really cool things with this program! However, for my first project in After Effects, I chose to keep it relatively simple and make snow. If you’re new to the program and would like to get to know it before using it for a huge project, I’d recommend taking some time to think about something very specific and simple you’d like to create in it. Then try to make it! When you know what you want to make, it becomes less overwhelming to experiment with unfamiliar software.

Premiere Pro
I used Premiere Pro to composite my film and add sound. A Program that is very similar to Premiere Pro is Final Cut Pro. Some students also used iMovie for their film.

Maya
We use this program for computer animation, modeling, rigging, and environments.  


I realize these programs are all very expensive. You can get a student version of Maya, but the other programs are quite an investment. If you are only interested in getting one of these software, I’d place my money on Photoshop. Of course, you get the most out of exploring this program if you also have a tablet or a cintiq to draw directly on.

On a side note, I should warn you that one downside to learning digital programs is the confusion you feel when in real life you automatically and continuously start pushing an imaginary "undo" button while drawing and nothing happens…

Anyway, I hope this post has inspired those of you who love making traditional art to go out and make yourself comfortable with these digital software programs. It will really help boost your confidence if you know how to work digitally and with different software! And to those who already work digitally, I hope this helped shed some light as to which programs go into the making of the CalArts films each year!


-Christine-