25 October, 2015

My Top 10 Books On Animation | Drawing | Story | Art



Over the past few years, I’ve read a fair amount of books on learning how to draw, animate, tell stories, and the like. I know you learn a lot from drawing on your own, but I like to also read about other people’s experiences and advice. I think doing so can really help if you find yourself wanting to improve your skills. A big part of me also just enjoys reading these books because they are about what I love!

I’ve compiled my list of books through teachers’ recommendations and info I have gathered here and there from podcasts with well-known animators. Below are ten of my favorites! To those interested in studying animation, I highly recommend reading these books before attending school. Many of my classmates at CalArts already knew how to animate and had read these books before their first year. Needless to say, these students did extremely well on assignments and their films!


Books on animation

The Illusion of Life by Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas
































I loved reading this book! Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas (two of the Nine Old Men, a group of animators known for their incredible animation skills) give you the history of Disney animation and how animators discovered the principles of animation for portraying the ultimate “illusion of life.”


The Animator’s Survival Kit by Richard Williams




















This is a book that time and again is brought up in our classroom discussions on animation. The principles of animation are very well explained. I felt like I saw these principles carried out everywhere I looked in real-life after reading it.


Books on drawing

































Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain taught me how important it is to “be in the zone” while drawing. It’s a great book for improving one’s observational skills.

 
Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth


 
As an artist, it is so important to be able to draw from the imagination. For many, it is also the hardest thing to do! Burne Hogarth helps you learn how to draw the human figure without any kind of reference.


The Art of Animal Drawing by Ken Hultgren
































The Art of Animal Drawing is good for learning to draw many kinds of animals, including horses, bunnies, lions and deer. But it is also a great source of information about posing, roughing in, arcs, line quality, and lines of action.


Drawn to Life (volumes one and two) by Walt Stanchfield, compiled by Don Hahn























Disney-animator Walt Stanchfield was a mentor to many co-workers and lead a series of lectures at the Walt Disney Animation Studios in the 1970s-80s for improving drawing. These were then written down as reference for the artists at the studio and much later compiled by producer Don Hahn, who put it all together in a book split into two volumes. The result, Drawn to Life, is one of my favorite books! You can read about the impact the notes have had on story-artist Dave Pimentel, who attended the classes, right here. I've also found a promotional video for the book, with clips from the life-drawing sessions with Walt!


Books on story

 Story by Robert McKee
































I have been told by many teachers that this is a must-read if you want to learn about story! Story explores how to effectively tell a story, so that you capture an audience and create interesting plots. As Pixar director Pete Docter once said, “there is no such thing as a lousy idea if it’s told well.”* Here, Pete Docter is talking about the power of layout, but I think it holds true of story-telling, as well. If you don’t execute a story well through effective storylines, the idea itself seems to crumble.



































Invisible Ink is a fairly quick read, and Brian McDonald’s teachings about story principles are easily digested! Through his insights, he manages to explain something extremely hard (story structure) and lay it out simply in a way I haven’t seen in other books on story. I felt very inspired to write a story and overcome any obstacles I may have with it after reading his book!


Books on creative businesses

































Creativity, Inc. taught me about the origins of Pixar and the struggles of establishing CGI animation. Ed Catmull, President of Pixar, writes about what it means to have a creative vision and developing something new that no one has seen before or imagined.
As much as I like to forget myself in a world of fantasy, it is good to sometimes come down to planet Earth and connect fantasy with reality. Creativity, Inc. gives great insight to the business-side of making animated movies and entertainment in general.


Books on art history

Gardner’s Art Through the Ages: A Global History by Christin J. Mamiya, Fred S Kleiner, and Helen Gardner

































Art history is not a main focus in our animation studies at CalArts. Even so, we do discuss art styles, such as works by Muybridge, Futurism in general and Bauhaus. Such art movements helped inform the development of animation and some of its design aesthetics. This book will teach you the foundations of art history and give you an understanding of artistic terminology. Alternatively, another book that is also good for understanding art history is E.H. Gombrich's The Story of Art.

If you are interested in more books about one of these subjects, I am happy to recommend more. And let me know if you have any books you read and liked! These are just ten books that explain what I consider the essentials for understanding what makes the U.S. American animation industry tick.


*Docter, Pete. Foreword to Setting the Scene: The Art and Evolution of Animation Layout, by Fraser MacLean, 6-7. San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books, 2011.